Friday, March 15, 2013

Should I Be Concerned?

It was announced today that archaeologists found 13 skeletons in a construction project thisclose to my flat.  (When I say "thisclose", I mean the end of my block.  Mike Vogel, we walked right past it!).  Based on some pottery found with the skeletons, it looks like the bodies date back to 1350.  How cool is that?  OK, that sounds macabre, but 1350?!?  It's literally history in my backyard!  It's older than anything found at home.

What's better (or worse depending on how you look at it) is that they are looking into whether this plot of land holds the remains of some 50,000 people killed as part of the plague.  That's right...the plague.  Bubonic, baby!  The city is being careful and trying not to freak people out by saying "There is no health risk.  It's not something that stays in the soil.  You have to meet someone who has it to catch it."  Dear God, if the plague can lie dormant for over 650 years and then come back, we are in big trouble.

I'm wondering if I should be more concerned by this.  I'm fascinated.  I want to take pictures, but I wonder if I might go on some list as a whack job.


2 comments:

  1. Isn't the "whack job" list an international list? I think the "whack job" list is shared between the CIA and MI-6. So don't worry about getting on a list, you're probably already on it. Haven't you seen the black helicopters following you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that what those helicopters are for? I just thought they were filming another Jason Bourne movie.

    ReplyDelete