Sunday, March 3, 2013

A bit of a milestone

I had a bit of a milestone this week in London, but I have to say that it was a little anticlimatic.  On Thursday, we launched the first phase of the project that I was sent here to do.  We presented the solution in a meeting at the top of "the Gherkin".  What is the "Gherkin", you say?  It is the nickname for one of the buildings in the financial district.  It is pretty distinctive and the name obviously suits it.


The real name for the building is 30 St. Mary Axe, but that doesn't really roll off the tongue like "the Gherkin" does.

As I was saying, the whole thing was a little anticlimatic.  I've been working pretty hard since even before I got here to get this project up and running.  February 28th was this date looming in the distance and I had to call in a lot of favors and put up with a lot of crap to get it done.  The day came and...went.  I don't know what I was expecting --- fireworks?  parade?  overwhelming sense of relief?  Other than the meeting, it was like any other day.  

I do have to say, it was cool to go up in the Gherkin.  After the meeting was over, we went to bar up at the top and had a drink to celebrate.  I didn't realize it at the time, but the restaurant and bar are private facilities.  I guess the only way to be able to get up there is to either become a member (not happening on my stipend) or to host an event there.  

It was a bit cloudy, but here are a few pictures from the bar.




All in all, I guess I can't really complain.  The initial launch went well and I got another cool London experience under my belt.  Not too shabby... 

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the completion of the first phase of the project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stein beat me to it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats!!! i am sure flat chris will have a drink to celebrate on this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete