Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Paris and Back Again!

It was a whirlwind trip to Paris.  We stayed in the St. Germain area, so we were very close to the Louvre and Notre Dame.  We walked everywhere.  We walked from Notre Dame, through the Tuileries Gardens, up the Champs-Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe and then over to the Eiffel Tower. 


We had beautiful weather in Paris -- 50s and sunny.  A complete contrast to the weather back in London (30s and rainy).  Caroline had running tights under her pants (a piece of clothing I think she wore the entire week), but we weren't really cold until we went up to the Eiffel Tower and had to wait in line for forever.  I guess we can't complain --- we didn't have lines anywhere else. (Side note about lines: why is that certain nationalities have no respect for personal space when it comes to lines?  I get that it may be a cultural thing, but when I scoot away from you and the rest of the line hasn't moved, don't you get the hint?  I'll grant you a pass for the first time, but the 7th time?)

The tourist attractions are cool, but I like wandering the streets to see the personality of the city.  I took lots of pictures of food and flowers.


Local flower market.  So pretty.


This was the pastry shop on the corner and their display of macaroons.


How cute is this little guy?!?  I don't know how you could eat him.  


Oxymoron: big shrimp

I had been to a lot of the places before, but we did go to one place I had never been before: the Pont des Arts - the "Love Lock" Bridge.  It is a footbridge right near the Louvre where couples affix locks to a bridge to declare their love.  Both Caroline and I had heard about it on the high-brow news programs, The Real Housewives and Keeping Up with the Kardashians, respectively.  (To my defense, I actually hadn't seen the Kardashians.  I just read about it in US Weekly.)

 
It's kind of a neat concept.  While we were there, a couple came in search of a lock they had put on the bridge.  It was kind of cool to see them find it. 


Way better than what I read about in US Weekly. :)

So, I'm back in London and Caroline is back in Wheaton.  It was a bit of a whirlwind, but I'm *so* happy she came to visit me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment