Saturday, May 11, 2013

Yes, Emily, You Made the Blog

As you can tell by the title of the blog, my friend Emily came to visit me.  She wanted to make sure she made the blog, so I thought I would do her one better and name it after her.

Unfortunately, it was quick trip.  She was working in Turin, Italy and made a pit stop (by way of Germany) to visit me for a few days.  She made it in on Thursday afternoon and then had to head out this morning (Saturday).  It was short, but sweet.

Thursday's weather wasn't great, but we were able to tool around London without getting rained on too much.

Look -- Big Ben, Parliament!

We did get rained on a little bit.  Emily bought a Union Jack umbrella, but shockingly, that £4 gem didn't last beyond the first gust of wind.

We did duck into the oldest wine bar in London, Gordon's Wine Bar, for a quick libation.  I had taken my sister Caroline there, but this time, we were there on a Friday night around happy hour and it was hopping!  We got lucky and scored a table as soon as we walked in.  The place is literally a cave (you can't walk upright in some places).  It was built in 1890 and it looks like it could be a deathtrap, but it is quaint in a weird sort of way.  

After Gordon's, we wandered around Covent Garden and then made our way home so we could grab some dinner.  Stupid me didn't think about the fact that she had been in Italy all week and I brought her to an Italian place in Exmouth Market.  Doh!  Moron.  Good thing the food was good...

On Friday, we wandered over to the Notting Hill area and went to the Portabello Road Market.  I've detailed on my trips to PRM here.  That was on a Saturday, so it was much different.  On Friday, there were fewer vendors, but also fewer crowds, so it was a nice change.  Emily came away with quite a few bargains.

That afternoon, we had tea scheduled at The Landmark Hotel.  It is a fancy hotel in Westminster that waoriginally one of London's Victorian era railway hotels, the Great Central Hotel.  It later fell into disrepair and was used as a convalescent home during the Second World War.  Eventually, some big wig bought it and rehabbed into the posh place it is now.  The tea is held in the Winter Garden, which is where the central courtyard area used to be.  So, we were enjoying scones and clotted cream where the horses and carriages would have dropped off their passengers.  Pretty cool.  It's got this huge vaulted ceiling that is gorgeous.

The tea itself was lovely.  Unlike other British establishments, we were attended to very well.  Almost too well at first.  About 3 waiters tried to take our order ---- after we had already ordered.  At any rate, it was very nice and refined.  I felt very civilized. (Thanks for the recommendation, Kyle!!!)

We couldn't go with just the tea!

Yummy...

I still have to write a post about my tea with my sister Teresa and her friend Abby.  It was quite different and way less traditional, but very enjoyable in its own right.  One of these days, I will get around to writing that post...

Believe it or not, Emily and I did eat dinner after tea.  I thought we would be stuffed for the rest of the night, but we both felt a little peckish (yes, I dropped that Brit-ism on purpose.  I haven't changed that much!).

Anyway, we ended up trying to go to this pub for fish and chips and a Pimm's Cup (it's a British summer drink made with this liqueur called Pimm's).  We sat down and the waitress proceeded to tell us that they don't know how to make Pimm's Cups (even though they have Pimm's and I don't know what else you would make with it) and they just ran out of fish.  What?  Okay....so, we got up and walked out.  We went to another bar around the corner from my house.  No fish and chips or Pimm's Cup there, but we did have yummy meals and even yummier cocktails.  Mine was called Nicola Six and it was quite tasty.  (I totally ordered it because of you, Nicole!).

So, it was a whirlwind trip, but it was a lot of fun.  Good food, good drinks, and Emily was able to close her suitcase after packing all her goodies.  I'd say that was a successful trip all around!

2 comments:

  1. In Notting Hill did you visit the travel book shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We walked past it, but we didn't go in. I didn't want to look that much like a tourist!

    ReplyDelete