Monday, April 8, 2013

Weird day of people watching and people watching me

I had a nice relaxing weekend.  No international travel, so this post might be a bit boring for you all.

The weather was beautiful this weekend -- 50 and sunny --- so every Londoner and tourist was out and about trying to take advantage off the little bit of sunshine.  The sun comes so infrequently that when we see it, we are bit like vampires ---- squinting and holding our hands up to protect us from its blazing rays.  To take advantage of it, I walked around Covent Garden and Soho and basically just got lost in the streets and people watched.  I sat in Soho Gardens and had a sandwich and watched people go by.  

At one point, I was wandering around Covent Garden.  I had just walked out of a shop and was wandering down the street when a young guy came running up to me.  My first inclination was to grab my purse and take 2 steps back. (How else am I supposed to react?)  He then proceeded to say "I know this is a bit odd, but I was back there with my friends and I saw you from across the street.  I don't know what it is, but you have this really aggressive vibe and I just wanted to compliment you."  I was a bit stunned and stammered "Uh...thank you."  Thank you?  Really?  Do I want to be complimented for having "an aggressive vibe"?  What does that even mean?  I know I was wearing a black leather jacket, but still.  He was really nice and seemed to mean it as a compliment, so I couldn't do anything but smile and walk way.

Later on, I was running along the Thames and I noticed all these people staring at me.  What the heck?!?  What is with today?  I started getting paranoid and thinking I had something on my face or something.  It took me a while to figure it out, but people were looking at my Cubs shirt.  I think there were a lot of Americans.  It was humorous because you could see them look at my shirt and then look at my face to see if they possibly could know me. 

After my run, I got home and was jamming in my flat to the new JT album (Caroline introduced me to it and I'm obsessed!).  Anyway, I happened to look out my balcony window and see a guy relaxing in his recliner...watching me.  Oops...I'm sure I was quite the spectacle.  

I tend to think that I can blend in and be invisible.  I guess I should be aware that for as much as I'm watching people, people are watching me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment