Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Celebrity Sightings

I don't want you to get too excited.  I haven't actually seen anyone yet.  Well, at least I don't think I have seen anyone.  I don't really know any of the local TV celebrities because I can't seem to get into the British TV shows.  British TV is a whole other post.  

No, where I have seen these celebrities is in commercials.  I'm not talking Ellen Degeneres or Sofia Vergara hawking makeup.  It's everything else.  Here is a short list of the celebrities and what they are pitching:

Katy Perry - Pop Chips - I think this may be shown at home, too, but it seems like she is everywhere here.  I see her on almost every bus stop while walking to work and while running.

Rihanna - Vita Coco - it's coconut water.  She is on every other bus stop that Katy isn't on.  I know they are friends in real life. Maybe they planned that.

Brad Pitt - Chanel - This is the SNL spoofed ad.  I like the SNL version better.

Patsy Kensit - Weight Watchers - Who, you say?  I'm betting my sister Teresa is the only one who would know who she is.  For Lethal Weapon fans, she was one of Mel Gibson's chicks in the second installment of the series.

Beyonce - O2 - O2 is my mobile carrier.  She doesn't say much.  She just flounces around a bit.

Jennifer Aniston - ?? - Actually, I don't know what her commercial is all about.  It is set in a coffee shop and she is all hopped up on caffeine and complaining about the fact her computer isn't working.  It's really stupid and not really effective consider I don't even know what she is selling.

Kate Winslet - Sky Media - Sky is one of the TV stations here.  She acts very serious and emotional...about a television station. 

The number one weird commercial is by....drumroll, please.....

Eva Longoria - Sheba cat food - I'm serious.  Cat food.  She dances around with an open can of cat food and then serves it to her cat.  What?  

I'm very curious to know how some of these commercials came to be.  Did the ad agency think "Sheba cat food?  Eva Longoria would be perfect!".  Or, was it more like, "I wonder who we can get for $x?"  And how did that conversation go between the celeb and their agent/manager? "So, there is a commercial you have been asked to do.  What do you think about cat food?  Don't worry, it will only be shown overseas."  Don't get me wrong...I'm not judging.  I just find the whole thing fascinating.

Here's hoping I see a celebrity in something other than a commercial.  I'm hoping for someone like Sophia Grace & Rosie (from "Ellen"), Prince Harry or someone from the cast of "Downton Abbey", but I think that might be too much to ask for.  Knowing my luck, it's probably more likely that I will run into one of the Osmond Brothers who are here starring in the musical "Boogie Nights."  Yes, "Boogie Nights."  Insert joke here.

1 comment: