Monday, February 4, 2013

A light went out in Chicago...

I got an email today that a friend of mine passed away this weekend.  He lived in my old condo complex and, in the wacky small world of Chicago, I found out after I moved in that he was friends with Aunt Nancy.  I kept pretty much to myself in my condo complex (anyone who met my downstairs neighbor would know why),  but Frank was one of the few people I did talk to.  He was always working in the yard and had the kind of green thumb that made this perpetual plant killer jealous.  I honestly can't think of a time when he didn't have a smile on his face --- even when he was dealing with some whacked out people in our association (no, not me).

I was worried about stuff like this when I came over here.  I was worried that i was going to miss both good and bad events.  I'm sad that I can't properly pay my respects to him and his family.  I'm sad that I can't be there for my aunt.  I'm mad that someone was taken so young.

I last saw Frank at our annual Holiday party at my house.  I don't know if this will make Frank happy or sad, but I can't get the image out of my head of him with his crazy bad Christmas vest.  I think he bought it from a thrift store because the invite said "holiday attire".  It was like the holiday version of the Party Jacket.  So bad, it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment