Thursday, June 6, 2013

Going Out Big, Traditional London Style

Mom's last night in London was Tuesday.  As part of her last hurrah, we decided to go to see "A Midsummer's Night Dream" at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre.  

We walked over the Millennium Bridge to the theatre.  Before we did, I got a self-portrait of us in front of St. Paul's.


Sorry about the cut off chin, Mom

I wrote about the Globe in a previous post.

The weather wasn't as nice as it was when I went with Teresa and Abby, but we at least lucked out and didn't have any rain.



Mom holding our cushions and a Pimm's

Again, Mom surprised me and conquered a bit of her fears.  We were at the very top of the theater.  Thankfully, we were in the last row, so Mom didn't have to worry that she would suddenly fling herself over into the pit below.  She didn't tempt it, though.  Once she was in her seats, she was in them for the duration.

"I'm not so sure about this height..."

View of the stage from our seats
(Those people in the pit stand for the full 3 hours)

The play was really good.  I think it was better than The Tempest.  Certainly, it was funnier.  It seemed to move along a lot quicker than The Tempest and there were no long, drawn out soliloquies.  (So I'm not a Shakespeare aficionado --- sue me).

The walk home was nice.  Not too cold and we got some beautiful views of the city.

Mom & St. Paul's

All in all, it was a really nice last night with Mom.  It was so great to have her here for an extended period of time so she could see where I live and how I live.  I love that she is independent enough to travel here on her own and wander around the city by herself.  She's been to places I haven't even been to you.  Hell, by the end of her time here, she was correcting me on directions and giving out directions to people who stopped her.  She even got annoyed with tourists who just stopped in the middle of the road/stopped at the top of the escalator/didn't have their Oyster card ready to exit.  A true Londoner!

No comments:

Post a Comment